Author Topic: Recomendation for restoring OEM brakes  (Read 1511 times)

Offline FCC

• 1973 Dodge Challenger 340
Recomendation for restoring OEM brakes
« on: April 10, 2014 - 10:23:37 AM »
I'm looking to redo the brakes on my Challenger but want to keep it OEM.  There are tons of places that sell the brake parts but I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendation on who or where best to get them?  Or are factory replacement parts typically all the same???  Thanks.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Recomendation for restoring OEM brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014 - 10:42:17 AM »
We have a place local to us that can re-line original brake shoes, rebuild original calipers, wheel cylinders etc....If you really want to go that route. Price is pretty comparable to re-maned over the counter stuff anyways... :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline FCC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014 - 11:05:04 AM »
Thanks for your input Alan. I think rather then pulling my existing stuff off, sending them out, waiting for them to come back, then install them... my preference is to pull off old and put on new in one day (or at least the weekend, hopefully).  If I opt for your suggestion, I'll ask you for additional information.  Thanks. 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014 - 11:27:09 AM »
Just go you your local parts store and order everything.  You can get complete rear drum hardware kits there too.  To do a complete brake job on these old cars should take no more then a few hours.(way less if you have a hoist)

Offline 1973JA5

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014 - 12:01:42 PM »
If the car has a power brake booster,find a local outfit that rebuilds them.Mine was a Midland unit and most of the replacements at Autozone for instance are Bendix,rebuilt by Cardone.Alot of people have had problems with those.The only part you don't really need to change is the combination valve,just flush it out with clean brake fluid.

Offline FCC

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014 - 02:45:48 PM »
Thanks all for the information.  I was thinking my local parts store would have everything but wasn't sure if there's a difference between their parts and someone's else (like PST)?   I do have a power brake booster but that was the only thing I wasn't planning to change.  Everything else will be changed out.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014 - 03:03:36 PM »
No need to change the booster if it's still working properly.  Same goes for the prop valve.  There have been problems with some of the repop prop valves.

Offline usraptr

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014 - 06:53:01 PM »
I've had good luck getting parts at my local Napa auto parts store.  They seem to have the best inventory and better quality parts.  :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014 - 06:59:53 PM »
Thanks for your input Alan. I think rather then pulling my existing stuff off, sending them out, waiting for them to come back, then install them... my preference is to pull off old and put on new in one day (or at least the weekend, hopefully).  If I opt for your suggestion, I'll ask you for additional information.  Thanks.

Well why didn't you say so.....I agree with all the others...replacements parts are very easy to come by....I assumed you wanted/needed to retain your factory original parts...Some guys insist on it... :screwy:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014 - 10:27:07 PM »
I typically use Raybestos or Wagner but I have had problems with Wagner Thermo Quiet brake shoes

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline FCC

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014 - 12:50:56 AM »
Thanks all again for the information. I ended up getting everything at Napa Auto Parts. Figured their parts would be better than O'Reilly's or Autozone.  Though it's disturbing some things were made in China. :(

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014 - 09:13:25 AM »
Unfortunately, I think everyone basically sells the same parts any more.  I shop at the places with the best online site so I can look up my parts before hand.  Also, counter help is hit and miss.  I like shopping at a place that has a real parts person at the counter.  Not just some kid who doesn't know cars.

I'd like to do my business with Car Quest.  However, their online site is horrible.

Offline 1973JA5

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014 - 11:20:31 AM »
Got my calipers from NAPA,no issues.

Offline Dusty1

• Revived
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014 - 08:23:59 PM »
Are Raybestos or Wagner as good as we can do on our cars? On my non power disc front rotors I need some more bite for a little quicker stopping
Garys 1972 BS