Author Topic: 74 Challenger Canadian Restoration  (Read 65358 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: 74 Challenger budget restoration
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015 - 02:49:14 PM »
It's getting serious now. Exhaust - gone.

Rear drivetrain - gone!

I also called a local restoration shop to get a quote to sandblast the shell. Does $1000 for blasting and epoxy primer sound fair?

Sounds more then fair....I pay about $1500....

"budget Restoration".....oxy-moron if I've ever heard one :roflsmiley:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015 - 03:32:16 PM »

I also called a local restoration shop to get a quote to sandblast the shell. Does $1000 for blasting and epoxy primer sound fair?

Who did you end up going with?
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline daaboots

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2015 - 06:17:44 PM »
I really should change the name of this build eh?

74 challenge, I was talking with someone from ASE Motorsports. If I had the car completely stripped down to the shell, they said it would probably only take 1 day to do the work. The more I do here, the more I could save.

http://www.asemotorsports.com/

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015 - 06:27:49 PM »
$1000 to sandblast!  WOW, i had no idea it cost that much. I did it myself, with rental equipment for about $225 total. But of course i had a place to do it and it was on a rotisserie, which simplified things.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015 - 06:43:26 PM »
$1000 to sandblast!  WOW, i had no idea it cost that much. I did it myself, with rental equipment for about $225 total. But of course i had a place to do it and it was on a rotisserie, which simplified things.

In my area it's not the sandblast alone that's $1500, it's the complete epoxy priming that adds to the price. Usually the blasting media is not sand, but other less damaging substances like soda :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2015 - 07:12:46 PM »
Be prepared for the body shop to tell you they found rust and other problems that need too be repaired when they blast it.   :banghead:

Offline 'cudaCruiser

• My '72 B5 'cuda
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2015 - 08:25:51 PM »
That's what they charged me just for the soda blast.
Mickey

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." Lou Holtz

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2015 - 08:20:53 AM »
I really should change the name of this build eh?

74 challenge, I was talking with someone from ASE Motorsports. If I had the car completely stripped down to the shell, they said it would probably only take 1 day to do the work. The more I do here, the more I could save.

http://www.asemotorsports.com/

hear of them before they did a few cars that did very well in Carlisle like that Blue Charger on their site along with a lot of other nice looking mopars in the area.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline daaboots

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2015 - 11:38:25 AM »
For your viewing pleasure, episode 4 in my youtube restoration series. Watch in full HD!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtiZKQy5COA

Offline AAR6BBL

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2015 - 06:07:11 PM »
Looks like you are making great progress!
I revised my budget 50 or 60 times during the tear down on my AAR, now I just let it float like the government does.
I have already told my children that I am spending their inheritance on the car.
I am finding the real killer isn't the big stuff, it's all the consumables (liquid & other)  :roflsmiley:
and the little bits and pieces that you don't even think about, screws, trim tabs, etc.
At some point you just reach acceptance of the process.
Is that an old Bridgeport in the background? I have one from the early 50's that I put DRO's on and a single phase motor.
Not fancy but man can you make some chips!
Keep us posted you sure learn a lot doing it yourself!
 :cheers:
Greg
"There's no such thing as putting a '70 AAR 'Cuda exactly where you want it. The 'Cuda isn't interested in such things, for they require finesse. Finesse asked the 'Cuda out to dinner once, but the 'Cuda stood it up to go drink beer under an overpass with her hot little sister. As far as this car is concerned, finesse can go stuff itself."

Offline daaboots

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015 - 07:09:20 PM »
Hey Greg, it's an Excello (or XLO) mill from the 70's. It has a 1hp 3 phase motor with Mitutoyo DRO's and ball-screws on the X & Y. It's a real nice machine and build right here in Canada! I also have a Colchester Student lathe 12x24 from the 70's as well.

Offline AAR6BBL

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015 - 09:01:15 PM »
Very Nice :2thumbs:
I have an old Southbend 10x36 toolroom lathe from the mid 60's that I love.
Along with the Cuda project I am a Benchrest Rifle shooter so it sees a lot of use re-barreling my rifles, along with a few of my fellow shooters.
I find the problem with having that equipment available is you will get an idea in the middle of doing something else, and next thing you know you are out in the shop with the machines running. They do come in handy though!
 :cheers:
Greg
"There's no such thing as putting a '70 AAR 'Cuda exactly where you want it. The 'Cuda isn't interested in such things, for they require finesse. Finesse asked the 'Cuda out to dinner once, but the 'Cuda stood it up to go drink beer under an overpass with her hot little sister. As far as this car is concerned, finesse can go stuff itself."

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015 - 09:20:48 PM »
Whereabouts are  you? I've got a pair of inner and outer 1/4 wheelhouses, for both sides and a 1/4 lock pillar (not sure if left or right) that you can have for free. They're oem and were removed from a donor car by a guy that I bought some parts off and I ended up buying new AMD stuff instead. I'm tripping over them right now, as I've finally got mine on the rotisserie and if we can figure out locations and if you can use them- they're yours. Let me know. Ian

Offline daaboots

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2015 - 08:18:58 AM »
Whereabouts are  you? I've got a pair of inner and outer 1/4 wheelhouses, for both sides and a 1/4 lock pillar (not sure if left or right) that you can have for free. They're oem and were removed from a donor car by a guy that I bought some parts off and I ended up buying new AMD stuff instead. I'm tripping over them right now, as I've finally got mine on the rotisserie and if we can figure out locations and if you can use them- they're yours. Let me know. Ian

Hi Ian. I'm located in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Offline daaboots

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015 - 09:05:50 PM »
Weekend progress. I'm getting closer to putting the quarter panel back on. Just need to grind the welds down now.

I'm still taking the undercoating off. The rear rails are not too bad looking after all... thanks goodness!