Author Topic: 74 Challenger Canadian Restoration  (Read 65345 times)

Offline usraptr

Re: 74 Challenger budget restoration
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2015 - 05:15:54 PM »
I think I paid about $1200 for the soda blast and epoxy primer on my 'Cuda.  That included the suspension parts as well.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline twalker

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2015 - 07:34:48 PM »
I paid 1400 plus the flatbed tow, including epoxy primer - tax in

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2015 - 10:40:26 PM »
David, those holes in the lft rail near the spring mount are exactly where I discovered some on my car last week while trying to install the torque boxes. When you come for the whlhses, I'll give you a chunk of the 16ga. steel we bought to repair it. Make sure to remind me.  :cheers:

Offline daaboots

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015 - 08:30:00 AM »
David, those holes in the lft rail near the spring mount are exactly where I discovered some on my car last week while trying to install the torque boxes. When you come for the whlhses, I'll give you a chunk of the 16ga. steel we bought to repair it. Make sure to remind me.  :cheers:

Sounds good. I'm curious to see how you made the repair. I'm not sure yet if I should try and remove the metal from behind the brackets or just patch over the hole. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the floor pan to get at it from the inside.

Offline daaboots

Re: 74 Challenger Canadian Restoration
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015 - 08:54:25 AM »
I renamed my topic from "Budget" to "Canadian"

:bricks1:

Offline daaboots

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2015 - 09:41:49 AM »
Well I made it down to the GTA and back alive! I've never seen so many strip malls in my life. The roads were terrible - snow and freezing rain all weekend long.

Anyway, big thanks to jimynick (Ian) for kindly donating some parts  :woo:

Here is another video I put together of our road trip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWTLXFiNgBc

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2015 - 11:21:00 AM »
gees...I wish I knew you were coming down from Ottawa...There was a set of seats I wanted on KiJiJi that were in Ottawa.. :banghead: :smilielol:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline daaboots

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2015 - 11:43:46 AM »
gees...I wish I knew you were coming down from Ottawa...There was a set of seats I wanted on KiJiJi that were in Ottawa.. :banghead: :smilielol:

LOL... maybe next time I guess.

Offline twalker

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015 - 11:07:20 PM »
Love your videos... Looking forward to seeing how things progress, too bad you're so far away

Offline daaboots

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2015 - 08:44:54 AM »
Love your videos... Looking forward to seeing how things progress, too bad you're so far away

Thanks! If the weather isn't too cold I'm hoping to get back at the car this weekend and maybe even get that quarter panel back on finally!

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2015 - 10:52:50 AM »
Thanks! If the weather isn't too cold I'm hoping to get back at the car this weekend and maybe even get that quarter panel back on finally!

:roflsmiley: Have you seen the forecast? Someday it will warm up........I hope.  :dunno:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2015 - 09:26:46 PM »
Glad to see you made it home safe and sound Dave and hope that stuff works out for you as well. Ian   :cheers:  ;)

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015 - 07:49:42 AM »

As I sit here in my warm office drinking my coffee I can look out at the thermometer at -26....this is not car weather!

If you are willing I'd love to come see the car just after it's been sandblasted, I'd love an education about the process and the work you have done.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline daaboots

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015 - 08:28:54 AM »
Glad to see you made it home safe and sound Dave and hope that stuff works out for you as well. Ian   :cheers:  ;)

Thanks Ian. If all goes well, I'll be installing a half wheel well on the left side this weekend. I already have my old one pulled out - what a job that was!

As I sit here in my warm office drinking my coffee I can look out at the thermometer at -26....this is not car weather!

If you are willing I'd love to come see the car just after it's been sandblasted, I'd love an education about the process and the work you have done.

Yeah sure. I'm still not certain if I'm getting the entire car blasted yet. I might just blast the bad sections myself out in my driveway once the weather warms up, or if the weather ever warms up  :walkaway:

Offline daaboots

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2015 - 07:06:51 PM »
Made some more progress in the door pillar area.

Coated the wheel well in rust sealer, pulled the old one out, and started to put the new one in.

:wave: