Author Topic: 74 Challenger Canadian Restoration  (Read 65319 times)

Offline daaboots

Re: 74 Challenger Canadian Restoration
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2015 - 08:46:30 AM »
I was staring at the 318 on the shop floor last night (as I'm sure most people do right?), and I might use the engine at least in the short term. In all likeliness, I'll have the bodywork, paint, and interior done for summer of 2016. I probably wont have the money right away for the 440 stroker engine, so it only makes sense to use the 318.

I was also thinking, since I ultimately want to use MegaSquirt fuel injection, the 318 would be a good starting point for learning the system. Heck, all I'd really need to do is find an old stock 4 barrel intake and slap on a throttle body and then add the fuel injectors bosses to the stock intake.

I donno, what do you guys think? Waste of time or a good stop-gap to fill the void of a 440 stroker? I just really want to avoid having a car all ready to drive but no engine.

:dunno:

Offline daaboots

« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2015 - 08:50:28 AM »
My vote is Magnum 5.9 twin turbo setup.

HAHA... you must be related to my buddy. He's building a Dodge truck with a 318 twin turbo engine.

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2015 - 09:41:54 AM »
I was staring at the 318 on the shop floor last night (as I'm sure most people do right?), and I might use the engine at least in the short term. In all likeliness, I'll have the bodywork, paint, and interior done for summer of 2016. I probably wont have the money right away for the 440 stroker engine, so it only makes sense to use the 318.

I was also thinking, since I ultimately want to use MegaSquirt fuel injection, the 318 would be a good starting point for learning the system. Heck, all I'd really need to do is find an old stock 4 barrel intake and slap on a throttle body and then add the fuel injectors bosses to the stock intake.

I donno, what do you guys think? Waste of time or a good stop-gap to fill the void of a 440 stroker? I just really want to avoid having a car all ready to drive but no engine.

:dunno:

Thats what I'm doing too, fixing up my 340, just so it will run good for a couple of years until I can afford a Gen III hemi, or something else if I change my mind. Also been thinking of trying out an EFI, but I don't know if I have time or cash to add the pump in the tank, fix return fuel lines etc.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline daaboots

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2015 - 11:31:25 AM »

Thats what I'm doing too, fixing up my 340, just so it will run good for a couple of years until I can afford a Gen III hemi, or something else if I change my mind. Also been thinking of trying out an EFI, but I don't know if I have time or cash to add the pump in the tank, fix return fuel lines etc.

A 340 is a nice engine that is worth restoring!

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2015 - 11:46:30 AM »
I love the 318 Twin turbo lol. Low compression so you can throw tons of boost at it!

I don't know if you are like me but since my car never came with anything larger than a 360 I am hoping to build one of those. I have been to a few junkyards around that have them kicking around. I waited too long on one at stephens and they ended up crushing it. 

If you don't care about originality...hell that worked over 440 sounds killer.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2015 - 11:22:42 PM »
Dave, get your wife to work on her old man and get that 340 out from under his bench. He's NEVER going to do anything with it. Tell him you'd like him to help with the rebuild and installation/tuning to make it work and if he can't see his way clear to give it to you, he's a wasting an opportunity to drive it again. Worth a shot, eh?  :cheers:

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2015 - 12:20:40 PM »
It's been a while since we had an update.   :popcorn:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline daaboots

« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2015 - 10:45:34 PM »
It's been a while since we had an update.   :popcorn:

Yeah I know... I've been slacking, and to be honest, I get depressed thinking about all the work ahead of me, not to mention how much stuff will cost. I'll get back at it one of these days. I'm not one to start something and not finish.

It's also ATV season for my wife and I. I'm on the board for our local atv club so I stay busy organizing events and making videos. Perhaps you will all enjoy this video I made for the club  :)

! No longer available

Offline daaboots

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2015 - 10:06:03 PM »
Good-bye 318  :wave:

Hello 440  :jumping:

I think some 440 Source parts will look real nice on this block... maybe a 512 stroker with aluminum heads??  :naughty:

Offline twalker

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2015 - 10:07:18 PM »
Yeah man!!  Congrats.  We will have a similar motor setup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline daaboots

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2015 - 08:53:12 AM »
Yeah man!!  Congrats.  We will have a similar motor setup

You running a 440 with some 440 source parts? Let me know how things work out for you. Looks like you're much further along in your build than me.

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2015 - 12:26:49 PM »
Yep keep us updated on the stroker progress.

Did you move the small children before transport or just close them in the bed? Lol

Mike
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2015 - 07:23:51 AM »
hey that looks sweet!

I just bought a mild 360 build and it comes Tuesday, I think your will be better lol.

Any progress on the rest of the car?
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline daaboots

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2015 - 01:25:01 PM »
Yep keep us updated on the stroker progress.

Did you move the small children before transport or just close them in the bed? Lol

Mike

Will do... but it wont be for a while... maybe another year or two.

We only lock the kids in the bed if they're being too loud  :grinno:

Offline daaboots

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2015 - 01:26:26 PM »
hey that looks sweet!

I just bought a mild 360 build and it comes Tuesday, I think your will be better lol.

Any progress on the rest of the car?

Congrats on your purchase!

Haven't touch the car since I pulled the engine in the spring. Once summer activities calm down I'll get back at the car.