Author Topic: intestinal virus in pump  (Read 1173 times)

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
intestinal virus in pump
« on: April 24, 2014 - 08:15:29 AM »
hey guys whats up,
you have to understand how  much  of a perfectionist i am to understand  how  aggravating this is for me. i am so sick of cleaning up power  steering fluid i cant stand it. i know this has been discussed before but i would like to readdress it for my exact situation. old power steering pumpwas puking fluid so after bleeding a few times i figured it must be the pump. i replaced the pump, bled thenew pump until i saw no more bubbles while turning lock to lock. lo and behold after about 15 to 20 minutes of driving comes the familiar whining and complaining. sure enough it starts puking fluid after shutdown. i think it is leaking while driving also but more significantly after shutdown. i did look inside while it was running and there was some foamy, frothy fluid on top, definitely hot but too hot i dont know for sure, did not appear to be boiling. power steering works great but noise and mess is unacceptable.
keep honking I'm reloading

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: intestinal virus in pump
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014 - 08:53:17 AM »
I don`t understand how it would start puking after shutdown.... sound as if it`s overheating..?
No leaks on the steeringbox or hose where it could take in air?
*** Bart ***

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014 - 10:12:42 AM »
dont believe i any leaks that have found. i replaced hoses and can see no leaks other than the puking.

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014 - 10:08:37 AM »
i replaced the cap, installed a small cooler,and bled system again, drove for about a half hour and ir all did great. so one of the three things i did fixed that problem. thing is when i went out later it had a whole new set of problems. immediately upon starting, it pulled to the right real hard and was pretty irradice after that. i then removed the valve body and replaced the o rings and cleaned it al up and replaced and adjusted it all. works fairly well but not happy with free play in wheel and little or no power assist at idle. i did notice the fluidwas a brownish color so it might be burnt. what can do to get rid of the slop in the wheel? the car has acompletely new components in the entire front end so i am sure its in the box.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014 - 12:29:13 PM »
glad you got rid of the puking issues. Sounds like there was still air in the box somewhere. No powerassist at idle... how many rpm does it run idling? Did you get a new pump or a used one?  Maybe it came from a /6. Those used more shims inside the pump where the pressure hose connects. This reduces pressure. Too many and this happens.
I rebuild the box on mine as it was leaking ,and found the 2 needle bearings had fallen apart. No more leaks and feels better, but still way to sloppy. I guess the problem is in the worm shaft or ball guide. I wonder how these boxes felt when new.  I`m thinking firm feel or Borgeson will replace mine in the future
*** Bart ***

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014 - 11:56:57 PM »
 running about 1300rpm at idle i bought a rebuilt one from napa. it did not have a problem at idle until after it overheated. iam thinking the new pump took a crap. i hear ya on the firmfeel box, my plan also. it just sucks the motor has to come out. i was looking at a manual gearbox from FF but not sure about liking it not. the one in my dart is awful slow turning, seems like i have turn the wheel 10x around to make a turn, but it would be nice to have the room and be rid of the pump and fluids.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014 - 02:59:42 AM »
running about 1300rpm at idle i bought a rebuilt one from napa. it did not have a problem at idle until after it overheated. iam thinking the new pump took a crap. i hear ya on the firmfeel box, my plan also. it just sucks the motor has to come out. i was looking at a manual gearbox from FF but not sure about liking it not. the one in my dart is awful slow turning, seems like i have turn the wheel 10x around to make a turn, but it would be nice to have the room and be rid of the pump and fluids.

I have two theories. First, something is/was wrong with the control valve which you later cleaned and readjusted. Only reason for the pump to get hot and turn the fluid brown is from pump working at high pressure all the time. The control valve should have open freeflow path while you are not turning the steering wheel.

Second idea is slightly more related to my typical luck. The pressure relief valve can be installed wrong way around into the pump housing which causes restriction for the pump outlet flow and the pump has to work at high pressure to deliver some flow to the powersteering box. This happened to my pump while I changed the sealings etc for it. My pump heated up quite quickly and made growling sound.

How fast did your pump heat up? It should stay quite cool indefinately (of course it will absorb some heat from exhaust etc) while your car is only idling and you are not moving the steering wheel.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014 - 08:06:05 AM »
  i hear ya on the firmfeel box, my plan also. it just sucks the motor has to come out.
You don't need to remove the motor to swap out the steering box. I removed the header but that's all.
I'm thinking along the same lines as kosmos, a control valve issue.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014 - 09:21:19 AM »
You don't need to remove the motor to swap out the steering box. I removed the header but that's all.
I'm thinking along the same lines as kosmos, a control valve issue.

:iagree:
*** Bart ***

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014 - 06:23:54 PM »
very helpful guys, thank you.