Author Topic: new steering box  (Read 7463 times)

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
Re: new steering box
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014 - 10:43:52 AM »
I like my stage 2 but I also added fast ratio arms.  Great for cruising.  I don't know about slalom though.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014 - 01:20:25 PM »
That is the $64000 question.  When they get your core, are they going to rebuild to cop box spec? or just rebuild what you gave them to stock spec. There are no 89 Diplomat cop cars in service, so I wonder if they care what spec you get.  Im sure they are rebuilt in some foreign factory with new seals, replace any worn parts, and the rebuilder has no idea whether to add reaction springs to turn a stock box to cop box; let alone knowing the difference between the two.  But do let us know how it works out.
Rebuilders just use std specs for rebuilding. EXAMPLE- Years ago all GM alts rebuilt came out the same around here, even tho the cases had different amp ratings stamped in them. Its just another box on the line. That being said I've been running a S & G level 3 for a few years now...... LUV IT! 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014 - 02:12:49 PM »
This is not turning out to be a good idea. I can't get the box to work right. The steering is way light and wants to wander back and forth while driving. It also wants to turn to the right on it's own. I've tried adjusting the valve body as there is a little play in the bolt holes. It does make a difference but not in a good way. The O rings in between the valve body and the steering box look good. I guess I'll go back to NAPA tomorrow and see what they say.

Offline tman

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014 - 02:27:02 PM »
Bummer.  Just to confirm, you bled out the system by turning the steering right to left for as long as it took for bubbles to disappear?

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014 - 03:03:47 PM »
oh ya, I see no bubbles in the pump either at rest or when the motor is running and the pump is quiet.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014 - 04:00:32 PM »
Is there play in the steering wheel? Are you sure the play isn't coming from the coupler? When was the car aligned last
and are there any other worn parts? ie tie rods, ball joints etc.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014 - 04:34:57 PM »
No play in the wheel at all. That's the one thing that did improve. My old box had a lot of play, even after adjusting it. All the steering parts are good with now play. If anything the steering is lighter with this box than with my old box and it should have been firmer. As soon as you start to turn the wheel the tires turn. It's just that they want to keep on turning after I let go of the wheel.  If I adjust the valve block anymore than where I have it now the wheels will want to turn to the right or left on their own. I have it centered as good as it's going to get and when I drive it the steering is really loose. Other than the slop in the old box the steering never reacted this way.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014 - 05:56:38 PM »
Sounds like a caster problem to me. I'd bet a good alignment will fix the steering problem. Now, you could shim the pump to
make it more difficult to turn (reducing pressure), but make sure everything else is correct before making other changes.
That way you're not chasing multiple problems.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014 - 06:11:32 PM »
No play in the wheel at all. That's the one thing that did improve. My old box had a lot of play, even after adjusting it. All the steering parts are good with now play. If anything the steering is lighter with this box than with my old box and it should have been firmer. As soon as you start to turn the wheel the tires turn. It's just that they want to keep on turning after I let go of the wheel.  If I adjust the valve block anymore than where I have it now the wheels will want to turn to the right or left on their own. I have it centered as good as it's going to get and when I drive it the steering is really loose. Other than the slop in the old box the steering never reacted this way.

How does the steering wheel feel when the car is not running? You should be able to "feel" the reaction springs inside the steering box. The steering wheel should turn quite a bit as the reaction springs are compressed inside the box and it should return to more or less same spot when you let go of the wheel. If not, the box could be faulty.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014 - 06:49:23 PM »
Oh no, when I turn the wheel with the motor running and the car standing still the steering feels really loose. If I let go of the wheel after turning even one rev the wheel will ether stay there or want to continue on until it hits the stops. It never feels like it wants to return to center at rest or driving. I'm thinking I need to take it out and return it. 

Offline tman

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014 - 07:13:38 PM »
I agree, return it.  I read another post where someone had gone thru 3 rebuilt boxes before it was acceptable. 

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014 - 12:06:08 AM »
Whos S & G? never heard of them and can't find a site.
keep honking I'm reloading

Offline tman

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014 - 01:15:11 AM »

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014 - 08:38:54 AM »
While I'm waiting for a replacement  box to come in a thought had crossed my mind. Do you suppose the pump I have is feeding to much pressure to the cop box? I looked up the part numbers of a Barracuda pump and a 1989 Dodge Diplomat police pump and they are not the same but I wasn't surprised. The pump styles are probably different.   

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014 - 06:05:35 PM »
Well, the replacement box came in today. I was all set to put it in when I thought I should try the pitman are first. Guess what, wrong box. I have the bigger shaft and they sent me the small shaft. I gave up. I took it back, got a refund and took my core back.