Author Topic: new steering box  (Read 7469 times)

Offline JoeGrapes

new steering box
« on: April 30, 2014 - 09:11:27 AM »
It's been raining here a lot so after 40 years my power steering box, which has a lot of slop in it, is finally going to be replaced. What a pain getting it out. No wonder why I keep putting off doing it. I'm going to try the 1989 Dodge Diplomat police unit. I was able to get it from NAPA. It will take 3 days to come in so I'll post back my impression after I install it.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: new steering box
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014 - 10:03:47 AM »
It's been raining here a lot so after 40 years my power steering box, which has a lot of slop in it, is finally going to be replaced. What a pain getting it out. No wonder why I keep putting off doing it. I'm going to try the 1989 Dodge Diplomat police unit. I was able to get it from NAPA. It will take 3 days to come in so I'll post back my impression after I install it.

What's the benefit of the 89 dippy box?

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline tman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014 - 10:39:35 AM »
Supposed to be firmer, less slop.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014 - 11:19:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure you will get just a stock rebuilt box. Cop boxes have long been exhausted.  :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014 - 11:23:35 AM »
Firm Feel rebuid worked wonders on mine.

Offline tman

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014 - 11:48:33 AM »
Hmm, NAPA still list Police and Except Police boxes.  Police box is a bit more $$ than standard box, but the core charge for the Police box is $139 vs $33 non police.  Part #'s are different.  Maybe there are some left.  Much less than FF box. 
Do keep us informed of progress when you install that new box.........Cheerio.

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014 - 02:41:26 PM »
No one at NAPA ever said the core charge would be different. My son is getting me the box with the discount he gets at his shop so maybe know one will care. I will compare the two side by side to make sure there is no difference. I can't imagine Mopar would make two entirely different boxes. I'm sure the factory did the same as Firm Feel does with their boxes to make the steering a little firmer. It's gotta be just a matter of changing a few parts. Don't forget the power steering feel we hate now was designed that way back then. Mopar could have made the steering feel anyway they wanted at no difference in manufacturing cost. The difference in price at NAPA is only about $25 anyway.   

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014 - 03:21:55 PM »
I did the same thing about 10yrs ago, didn't know about FF back then.
I have no frame of reference for comparison, but my cop box is "tighter" than the stock part it replaced.

Offline tman

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014 - 04:20:59 PM »
You can find the pricing at NAPA website.  Bet that core charge is more for police because supply is low.  And if someone else turns in their standard core for a police box, I wonder if the next rebuilt you get is just a standard box, with a Police  part #. 

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014 - 06:32:40 PM »
I don't believe the box itself is any different. Just a few different spec parts inside. If that were the case Firm Feel would require police boxes in their core exchange. As I understand it all they do to change the feel of the steering is change the reaction springs with springs of different rates. I could do that myself if Firm Feel would sell me the correct springs, which they won't.

Offline tman

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014 - 06:48:57 PM »
Correcto!  Boxes are the same, just some spring changes. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014 - 08:19:44 PM »
WHat about the shim trick some one posted here

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline challenger_affair

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014 - 01:37:54 AM »

You taking about the shims inside the pump?  I think the link below is the article...  I would love to try that trick but looked around a bit and couldn't seem to find the right size washers    :dunno:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf 
1970 Challenger 383 RT Auto Plum Crazy

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014 - 01:50:30 AM »

I did that but I`m not impressed at all.  Won`t help with the sloppy feel of the box either
*** Bart ***

Offline tman

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014 - 02:31:40 AM »
Great feedback on the shim trick.  I did not think that trick was for me.  But didn't someone else like that solution?