Author Topic: new steering box  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Re: new steering box
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014 - 06:07:01 AM »
I don't believe the box itself is any different. Just a few different spec parts inside. If that were the case Firm Feel would require police boxes in their core exchange. As I understand it all they do to change the feel of the steering is change the reaction springs with springs of different rates. I could do that myself if Firm Feel would sell me the correct springs, which they won't.

The reaction springs inside the box are like thin largish washers made from spring steel. The normal box should have two of these reaction springs inside the box, one on the each end of the reaction piston or whatever it is called. I salvaged set of these springs from another steering box and installed two springs to each side of the piston on my box during the rebuild. I have never driven the challenger with the stock steering box but I have -72 fury that supposedly has the same/similar box and the steering feel is like night and day. For me the two springs on each end instead of one seems to be excellent uppgrade for the stock steering box.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014 - 08:00:59 AM »
man you guys are making me nervous. 

I am in the process of going from manual to power steering in my Cuda.

I was going to get a stock rebuild box from NAPA (FF is to expensive right now) and do the shim mod to the pump.

Now I am afraid I might have a fuzzy, mushy, mess going down the road (not that I have not heard that before), but I was hopping the shim mod would help that.

I may hold off until we get some feed back on this cop box (although the core charge listed on the NAPA website may prevent me from doing that!)

Jason

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014 - 07:24:00 PM »
I got the box today. It's the same case as the one I turned in. Before I turned in the old box I took the return line fitting off. Good thing I did as the new box didn't have one. I guess there are a lot of different ones over the years. Simple, only two bolts. The parts store guy didn't care what core I turned in as long as I turned one in and it looked like the new one. Hopefully I'll get it on and tested this weekend.

Offline bc3j

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014 - 07:54:19 PM »
I bought a March Performance shim kit from Summit Racing. I put four shims in (originally two were installed).  The four shims were to reduce the pressure to 850 psi according to the kit's instructions. In the garage I turned the wheel to bleed the system which went ok. Then I increased the rpm and suddenly lost the power steering. I removed the power steering pump and found the flow control valve was stuck in the pump. I'm not sure if the extra two shims caused that problem, but I removed the shim kits four shims and returned to the the original two shims. Car steers ok for my liking. I do have offset upper control arm bushings installed and set for maximum castor and camber. For me, my car steers pretty good while spirited driving on interstate ramps. My steering box is of the stock type.  Works ok for me. 

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014 - 09:55:23 PM »
I bought a March Performance shim kit from Summit Racing. I put four shims in (originally two were installed).  The four shims were to reduce the pressure to 850 psi according to the kit's instructions. In the garage I turned the wheel to bleed the system which went ok. Then I increased the rpm and suddenly lost the power steering. I removed the power steering pump and found the flow control valve was stuck in the pump. I'm not sure if the extra two shims caused that problem, but I removed the shim kits four shims and returned to the the original two shims. Car steers ok for my liking. I do have offset upper control arm bushings installed and set for maximum castor and camber. For me, my car steers pretty good while spirited driving on interstate ramps. My steering box is of the stock type.  Works ok for me.

You're talking about shims for the pump, correct? That is to reduce the output pressure created by the pump which makes the
steering a little bit harder. The shims for the gearbox are to increase the pressure in the box making it tighter. That helps remove the play in the wheel. Both are good improvements, but they do two different things.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline bc3j

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014 - 10:40:25 PM »
Yes the shims for the power steering pump that are located on the flow control valve. My pump is a Saginaw. Maybe it's just my pump and four shims was too much. Not sure. Didn't try it with three shims. I was also looking to firm up my steering but ultimately decided to install a rebuilt stock power steering gear and rebuild the coupler. For my purposes, I like what I ended up with.

Offline tman

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014 - 11:09:30 PM »
I got the box today. It's the same case as the one I turned in. Before I turned in the old box I took the return line fitting off. Good thing I did as the new box didn't have one. I guess there are a lot of different ones over the years. Simple, only two bolts. The parts store guy didn't care what core I turned in as long as I turned one in and it looked like the new one. Hopefully I'll get it on and tested this weekend.

That is the $64000 question.  When they get your core, are they going to rebuild to cop box spec? or just rebuild what you gave them to stock spec. There are no 89 Diplomat cop cars in service, so I wonder if they care what spec you get.  Im sure they are rebuilt in some foreign factory with new seals, replace any worn parts, and the rebuilder has no idea whether to add reaction springs to turn a stock box to cop box; let alone knowing the difference between the two.  But do let us know how it works out.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014 - 01:20:12 AM by tman »

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014 - 02:05:42 PM »
I'm sure that the quality of the $130 rebuild is not the same as a $450 Firm Feel rebuild. I don't expect it to be for $300 less. You're right, they just replace the seals and rework the parts that are not up to spec.  Where as Firm Feel completely re-machines and modifys the parts to their specs. Anyway, I got the box in and running. No leaks, but the steering feels really light and it almost want to turn to the right on it's own. I'm hoping I just don't have all air out of the system. I did drain the pump and started with fresh fluid. I had to stop for the day.   

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014 - 02:54:31 PM »
I am going to put a power steering rebuilt box in soon. Did you have to remove the torsion bar? ( I have a 70 Challenger 340-stock exhaust)

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014 - 03:56:02 PM »
No I didn't remove the torsion bar. I took the box out from the top. I removed the battery, battery tray, power steering pump, pulled the steering shaft back and unbolted the header and moved it back toward the firewall. I didn't take the pitman arm off until I had the box on the bench. I never thought of removing the torsion bar and taking the pump out from the bottom. Wonder if that wold work?

Offline bc3j

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014 - 10:00:20 PM »
I have removed my steering gear from the bottom without removing the torsion bar. I have stock manifolds. Not that bad. I did remove the pitman arm first. The gear box came right out.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014 - 03:25:55 AM »
I removed header and ps pump and took it out up and forward
*** Bart ***

Offline rattlesnake

• Rattlesnake
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014 - 09:11:30 AM »
I am getting ready for this operation as well. However I am leaning toward a power Firm Feel box. I would like some feedback from guys who have these boxes. I understand the stage 1,2 and 3 are available. Please state what level of box you have and how you like it as far as tight, not worth the money or too tight. Also if anybody has a maual box from firm feel and how those boxes are as far as road feel and reaction time for road driving.
keep honking I'm reloading

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014 - 09:45:23 AM »
I have a stage 2. It's good, but I think a 3 would be better. Id like it a little tighter.

edit**I should add that my box came from steer and gear not firm feel**
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014 - 09:33:20 PM by dodj »
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014 - 09:54:43 AM »
Wish I had gone with 3.  Stage 2 is too light for my taste. I am going to try shimming the pump valve next

Steve