Author Topic: Tucking in the front bumper  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Tucking in the front bumper
« on: May 13, 2014 - 08:45:40 PM »
Whats next to get this bumper tucked in a few more inches. I have already slotted the holes in order to slide it in. It is slid in as far as it can go. the bracket is hitting the frame now. Am i going to have to modify the brackets? Are the brackets that much different from the 70-71 years versus the 73 challenger?

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: Tucking in the front bumper
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014 - 09:05:06 PM »
Yeah, i think i just figured it out. Should have done a little research before i posted. Earlier models did have different brackets. Expensive, though. Anyone modify theirs rather than buy new brackets?

Offline Surfmichaels

Tucking in the front bumper
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014 - 09:08:53 PM »
Ive seen some posts of the rear being modified but not the front yet, can't find them at the moment but will keep looking....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014 - 09:29:26 PM by Surfmichaels »

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014 - 09:47:41 PM »
I went ahead and bought the new brackets for the rear. Was a lot easier than trying to modify them. I suspect it will be easier in the end to purchase the correct ones for the front too.

Offline moparman70rtse

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014 - 08:46:23 AM »
Try Steve's Muscle Car Parts. Not sure if does, but he may have front bumper supports.
http://www.stevesparts.com/

Give him a call, he has a lot more parts than listed on e-bay.
Tell him Gabe sent you.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014 - 09:59:00 AM »
The attaching holes on the bumper are probably in a different spot then where they need to be for the earlier brackets.  The earlier years also didn't have that heavy reinforcement behind the bumper.  They mounted the license plate bracket right to the front valence.  The 73-74s mounted the license plate bracket to that reinforcement piece.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014 - 10:01:45 AM by burdar »

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014 - 02:22:26 PM »
I know years ago that Wagesofsin modified his 73-74 cuda front bumper brackets to be tucked in like 70-72 and it didn't seem like a lot of work from what I remember.  Don't know if the cudas and challenger front brackets have the same part number.  You may want to check in with him and see what he did.

Don 
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014 - 03:52:59 PM »
I know years ago that Wagesofsin modified his 73-74 cuda front bumper brackets to be tucked in like 70-72 and it didn't seem like a lot of work from what I remember.  Don't know if the cudas and challenger front brackets have the same part number.  You may want to check in with him and see what he did.

Don

lol... nothing he ever does seems like a lotta work....  Sparks and hammers flying around....lalala...done    ::) :lol:
*** Bart ***

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014 - 05:22:08 PM »
I modified them by cutting about an inch and a half out where the inside one curves inward. I then welded  a straight piece in, so that i could slide it in with out hitting. Of course i had to slot it a bit more. I figured i had nothing to lose by trying. Worked out good. I will throw some pics on here.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014 - 10:41:18 AM »
I'm trying to do the same thing on my 72 Cuda. Someone had put on a 73-74 bumper and brackets.
After you get rid of the crash plate under the bumper, the outside holes are about 3/4 of an inch away from the bumper compared to the inside ones. I'm going to cut the tabs off and reweld them in where I need them.

This sucks trying to fit everything and not touch the new paint. I see you are in the same position.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline crash340

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014 - 03:22:35 PM »
Rob,
Have you got any photo's showing that 3/4" differnce, the bars pulled apart etc to show us please
Greg
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014 - 09:53:41 PM »
I measured out how much further i would need to slide the brackets along the frame. I went with 1.25 inches, which i didn't have, because the bracket was hitting the car frame. So i notched it and welded in a piece, reinforcing along the inside of the bracket. I then notched my holes another 1.25 inches. I had plenty room, and i think an 1" would have been plenty. Now i just need to take it back off and weld in the extra long holes along the brackets.