Author Topic: shocks question  (Read 2412 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
shocks question
« on: May 17, 2014 - 07:21:05 PM »
I am not happy with my shock set up, and it`s very well possible I did stupid things here....  :dunno:
A few years ago fellow member RB2929 gave me a brand new set of edelbrock ias rear shocks for my cuda...  :worshippy  Being on a tight ( read NO) budget, I was super happy with the shocks. However ,I was not able to get the matching front shocks so I decided to use a set of Koni`s up front. These are adjustable, but I haven`t touched them adjustment wise.
The difference front to rear is like day and night. I love the feel of the koni`s although I think I will try to adjust them to a stiffer level.
The edelbrocks feel terrible. I love a firm feeling shock, but the rear of the car feels so hard, it`s bouncing even in small dents and bumps in the road surface. It`s almost like the only spring travel comes from the tires. What`s the deal here? All I read about the eddy`s is how great they feel. I can see the advantage of huge roll reduction in corners but I can`t see why anyone would like them for non race use.  :clueless:
My car has leafsprings and poly bushings. I know the car was super soft without shocks so no springs hung up in any way.  Could this problem occur using softer shocks up front? ( I know it`s far from ideal, but it is what it is right now... )  or am I missing something here?
Anyone on here using the eddy`s?  I would hate to get me some other shock and find out I made a stupid mistake of some sort   :bricks1:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014 - 07:23:26 PM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: shocks question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014 - 12:59:40 AM »
SO you have no adjustability on the rear shocks?
 the front being soft can cause the front to take most of the movement like a spring board so stiffening the front may help but it may just be a bad mismatch

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014 - 02:53:05 AM »
edelbrock calls it auto-adjustable... so No....  :icon16:
That makes sense. I will set the koni`s to max stiffness, see what that does to the rear and go from there. 
*** Bart ***

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014 - 08:10:29 AM »
You could also play with air pressure somewhat?  Are you certain the pinion snubber is not contacting ?  If you have a rear sway bar try un hooking it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014 - 08:14:09 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014 - 11:03:53 AM »
Now we`re getting somewhere with this puppy....  :bigsmile:  adjusting the front shocks to the max made a big difference  :2thumbs:  It still is a tad harsh in the rear, but feels way more balanced.  A 177.38 % improvement for sure  :woo:  It corners great too ,but I will add the koni`s for the rear to next seasons wishlist.    thanks!   
man ,I love this car   :woohoo: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014 - 12:13:11 PM »
cool  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014 - 12:16:18 PM »
Nice! Great also to hear your driving it lots! :woohoo:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014 - 12:26:01 PM »
I have RED Konis... set full stiff front, ~2/3 stiff rear... have adjusted them repeatedly for competition autocross.. until i got satisfied... ok for street, as well..   tire pressures make a big difference... play with them to find your bst liking.   Tire sudewall profiles also make a difference... 60, 50, 45, 40, 35 series...  again...  fond your best results and satisfaction..
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014 - 04:10:31 PM »
I will fiddle with pressure and see what happens. Too bad there`s nothing to adjust on these rear shocks. Looking forward to getting koni`s for the rear as well but for now I`m happy it stopped bouncing all over the place  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline Mopar Mitch

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014 - 04:17:50 PM »
If you're willing to spend for the best, consider the double-adjustable QA1 (or Strange double adjustables)... those will be my replacements for the red Konis someday.... these double adjstables costs ~$250 each shock (~$1000 for 4)... and worth it from a hi-level of suspension tuning... consider it to be an investment for many years ahead so you can continuously fine-tune the handling.

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014 - 05:17:44 PM »
I think the Koni`s will be " top notch " enough for me.  IMO not very realistic to spend that much on shocks when the rest of the car is pretty much stock and I am not racing or pushing handling to the limit.  Sure I will keep upgrading stuff but as long as I`m running 15" 60`s with no frame stiffening, it`s money thrown away...   plus, I`d like to get me some fuel every now and then to have fun   :money: :bigsmile: :burnout:
I guess it`s always looking for a compromise...what do you want, what do you need to get there and how much can you spend on that.  For me, if it was all about handling, I would have bought a Porsche in the first place.  ps, your challenger loos awesome  :clapping:
*** Bart ***

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014 - 05:59:11 PM »
continuously fine-tune the handling.

:clueless:

I would expect $1000 worth of shocks  :scared: to fine-tune themselves.  :smilielol:

I too will stay with fine-tune my rear-end in the drivers seat and spend the difference on other goodies I really need.  :bigsmile:
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline Mopar Mitch

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014 - 10:26:17 AM »
For best handling results, in a quick summary, start with mods at the outer corners of the car and work inwards....  Tires, shocks, suspension,...let the engine/drivetrain be the last place to spend $$$.

Also, the "nut-behind-the-wheel" (driver) needs lots of attention to make the efforts well worth it.

:cooldancing: :money: :money: :money: :cooldancing:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014 - 06:38:04 PM »
I love my QA1 shocks.  I put singles on the rear of the challenger.  I like them so much I put doubles on the front.  The adjustability is great as I can get the the ride to feel the way I want it.  But if I decide to do something more aggressive with it, I can dial them in to what I want.

Now that I am redoing my charger, the shocks are going to be QA1s on all 4 corners.

They are pricey, but realistically with the miles I put on the cars...the shocks are basically lifetime.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014 - 09:26:36 PM »
:clueless:

I would expect $1000 worth of shocks  :scared: to fine-tune themselves.  :smilielol:

I too will stay with fine-tune my rear-end in the drivers seat and spend the difference on other goodies I really need.  :bigsmile:

You can spend that and more just on one shock if you have the funds. Its all in what you want your car to do well.  Some drag race ,some just  cruise, some are 1:1 scale diecasts and some are into handling. It's all good!  I think it's pretty cool how more and more in the Mopar camp are interested in handling and modifying their cars to do so. I have a bit of a background in circle track racing and have applied some of what I've learned to my car . I also have learned  from and look up to guys like Mitch, Dan Weishaar and HP2 . 
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post