Author Topic: Steering / Suspension Issue  (Read 1163 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Steering / Suspension Issue
« on: May 20, 2014 - 09:28:29 PM »
I am in the process of switching to power steering from manual, but want to make sure I do not have a problem before I tear everything apart.

When I turn the wheel as it is now, going down the road, I get about 1/2 turn with little / acceptable effort.  After that everything tightens up and it takes considerable effort to turn the wheel.

I have adjusted the steering box and have very little play, if I back off the adjustment, I get lots of free play. 

I rebuilt the front suspension last year and also installed a fast ration pitman arm.

I am concerned that there is something binding in the front suspension as the wheels turn.  When the wheels are off the ground, and the suspension at ride height,  the wheels turn with no effort.

Any thoughts if there is an issue / anything I should be looking at?

Jason

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Steering / Suspension Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014 - 01:14:15 AM »
Not sure what could cause that other than something inside the box itself  :clueless:
*** Bart ***

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014 - 06:17:49 AM »
Sounds like the adjustment screw is too tight

Steve

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014 - 09:18:50 AM »
What size are your front tires? What is the vehicle speed when the "considerable effort" is required? When the car is stopped, does the effort to turn remain constant?

It sounds like normal manual steering with widish front tires to me, especially if everything moves freely side to side when in the air.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014 - 07:10:08 PM »
 :iagree:
 What does it feel like in the air ?
 the adjustment screw is tightest in the center position & looser away from center so that is opposite .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014 - 09:18:08 PM »
What size are your front tires? What is the vehicle speed when the "considerable effort" is required? When the car is stopped, does the effort to turn remain constant?

It sounds like normal manual steering with widish front tires to me, especially if everything moves freely side to side when in the air.

Yep everything moves freely in the air.  Tires are wider then stock, not sure of the size off hand. Effort is required at any speed, but going around a corner at say 15 mph is touch once you get past 1/2 a turn.

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014 - 09:24:23 PM »
This is gonna sound dumb, but you changed the idler arm with the pitman, right? Just covering bases.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014 - 10:34:41 PM »
This is gonna sound dumb, but you changed the idler arm with the pitman, right? Just covering bases.

Lol...I knew some one would ask that.  Yes, I put bot the fast ratio pitman and idler on.
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!