Author Topic: Time to learn how to patch panels  (Read 6883 times)

Offline msbaugh

Time to learn how to patch panels
« on: May 21, 2014 - 07:28:52 PM »
 Just looking for some general opinions since I know nothing about body work.  This is the only spot on the car that has any visible bubbles or rust spots.  I understand that paint hides bad things and that most of y'all have seen much... much worse than this. 

The bubbles showed up a couple of years ago.  It hasn't grown much from what I can tell but I poked one to examine the other day and look what was underneath!! Ouch...  I'm certainly not stripping this car down anytime in the next 3-4 years.  How long till a rust condition like this gets to where you really should act on it? 

Of course this is a normal bad spot for these cars. If you cant tell, its the lower rear of the wheel well on the drivers side quarter panel

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016 - 02:15:27 PM by msbaugh »

Offline Edison1970

Re: How long from bad to worse?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014 - 08:10:12 PM »
None of us are magicians but it looks like the rust is through to the trunk drop off.  Since it is pretty low on the fender, I would take care of it now before it gets any worse.  You could fix the rust and have a body shop spray just that area.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014 - 09:02:33 PM »
Do you have a mig welder? Cut it out and make a patch and weld it in. They can match paint pretty good these days with that camera thing at the paint/ autobody  supply. Less than $100 I'd guess if you did it yourself.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014 - 12:40:20 AM »

As others have stated, fix it now before it spreads.

:bricks1:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014 - 08:38:01 AM »
Ok, y'all bare with me here for a moment.  What would be the best angle to start to cut the rust off the bottom half?  I think as far as body work goes this will be a relatively easy fix, assuming the rust is centralized along the bottom (That's never the case though is it).  Might be a good first experience for me.  My mindset is to cut as little as possible because I refuse to let this turn into something bigger than it needs to be. 

I do have access to a mig welder.  The thought of cutting into the car makes me cringe, but if it's for the greater good...  Would it be possible to fab a patch with the wheel well lip contour or would I have to find a skin to cut a patch out of? 

Since I'm poor and a cheap ass I wont resort to paying a professional if it's something I can handle.   

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014 - 09:13:03 AM »
Let me re-phrase my questions. 

Fab a patch panel to match the piece I cut out?.... or cut one out of an aftermarket 1/4 skin?

I'll practice on some scrap untill I feel confident, but what would be the best method as far as results go?
Overlapping the patch on the back and drilling holes in the top section would make welding for a beginner easy, but I'm sure it wouldn't give great results.
Butt welding it would probably give better results IF I did it right.  I figure I'll epoxy/weld through primer the spots that have been ground to bear metal and line it up and tack weld/grind/tack weld/ grind it till it fits.

Then hopefully find someone that can blend into the current paint
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014 - 09:14:58 AM by msbaugh »

Offline DocMel

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014 - 09:43:16 AM »
Im all about doing work on my own.  Cutting out cancer and patching, then painting, I do it on my own, but

The initial lay out will be a little high  You will need TIG welder. Figure 400-500 to get one  Then you need to know how to weld correctly, not a big deal, it just takes experience :But you want it done right

A little body glaze, spot prime, those at a minimal cost.  Then of course, the final painting, maybe, 3-400 if you do it on your own with the right material  But then you need a decent paint gun a a compressor to drive it, so another 400......

Lets say 1400 just in tools, materials alone: And you are hoping that it turns out alright

Can you do it, yes.  First timer, Id get help:   So the initial layout of 1400, what would that compare to reputable body shop to do the work for you

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014 - 09:48:46 AM »
There is more rust then what you are seeing there.  Fixing this spot might very well snowball into a much larger project.  I don't have a good answer for you. :bricks1:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014 - 10:32:04 AM »
I agree with burdar but I`d say, don`t let that scare you off.  Leaving it be will turn into a bigger mess.
I don`t have a clue why lately people feel you need a tig welder to patch some rot... heck, I`d patch it with a rod welder if needed. These cars use good size steel for panels.
Take off the trim and tape the edges of the part you want to replace. Don`t be scared there, make sure you have some beefy metal with no rust where you tape or it will bite you in the a$$ when welding.  Then drill the spotwelds in the fenderlip and the lower section where qrtr and drop off meet. Use the part you cut out as your template for shape and use paper to make a template from it so you have the flat shape and size to cut the new piece by. ( oversize it with the thickness of your cuttingdisc)
I wouldn`t touch the drop of yet if it needs repairs as well. Make the outer patch first then (tack) weld it in so you have reference for the patch in the dropoff.

it does help if you have someone who is able to help adjust the welder for you. Take your time welding and make sure you keep the metal cool. you`ll be fine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014 - 10:34:14 AM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014 - 11:24:48 AM »
What I'm worried about is fabbing a good enough piece to fit that lip on the wheel well.  Does anyone sell a good fitting patch panel for this area that I can cut and use as needed?  It sure would ease my mind as a a pop my body work cherry

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014 - 12:00:34 PM »
What I'm worried about is fabbing a good enough piece to fit that lip on the wheel well.  Does anyone sell a good fitting patch panel for this area that I can cut and use as needed?  It sure would ease my mind as a a pop my body work cherry

We are doing pretty much the same thing.  Take a look at this page.  You can buy quarter and half patch panels.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=93994.90

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014 - 12:21:08 PM »
you could make it out of 2 parts. outer and lip. just weld them together, finish and weld the whole part to the car   :2cents:  I replaced the whole lower part on mine and bought a sherman patchpanel which goes up to right under the sidemarker (cuda)  but it fit like crap and ended up in the bin...
*** Bart ***

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014 - 01:15:24 PM »
Ok, one more stupid question!  How far down does the trunk extension/drop off go on the inside of the quarter panel and how is it attached to the inside?
I feel like the rust isn't high enough up to interfere but I could be wrong.  Just trying to get an idea of how the drop off will effect the job before I start stripping the paint and cutting. 

I can't thank you guys enough for the replies.  I couldn't do it with out the advice/help.  If anyone finds themselves in New Orleans area I'll buy ya a bear!

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014 - 03:19:13 PM »
We are doing pretty much the same thing.  Take a look at this page.  You can buy quarter and half patch panels.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=93994.90

Want to come to Louisiana and repeat your patch on my car? Lol very similar jobs it looks like, except I'm not stripping and re painting the whole thing.  Did you use AMD's patch like this one? Jegs carries them

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014 - 03:28:07 PM »
Goodmark makes a short piece (less than half that height) if that is all you need.  I always use AMD for the large ones but they didn't make the short one that I got by Goodmark.

Love New Orleans.  Really great food there.   :bigsmile: