Author Topic: How to remove the steering coupler pin (to replace gear box)  (Read 3822 times)

Offline FCC

• 1973 Dodge Challenger 340
I'm trying to remove and replace my steering gear box.  I know I need to remove the roll pin from the steering shaft coupling but not sure if I'm doing it right???  It doesn't seem to budge.  I don't want to hammer on my pin tool too hard as the warning in the service manual states: 'IMPORTANT: bumping, jolting and hammering on the steering shaft and gearshift tube must be avoided during all servicing operations.  If the shear pins are broken, the controlled length of the telescoping features will be changed, making these parts unfit for further use.'  Thanks.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: How to remove the steering coupler pin (to replace gear box)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014 - 07:40:55 PM »
that means you dont want to put pressure on the shaft towards the steering wheel. the shaft is collapsable and the 2 parts are held in place with small plastic pins.  If the rollpin wont budge, you could try from the other side. If really tight, have someone hold a heavy hammer to the underside  of the coupler as an anvil and smack it
*** Bart ***

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014 - 07:47:48 PM »
I used a punch and hit the top corner of the pin.You will not get it out if you hit the  punch straight down.

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014 - 07:55:18 PM »
  A hefty C clamp with a proper backing  tool will work--------just press it out or at least break it loose then use a punch with backing to prevent shocking the shaft.
The Brewmaster

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014 - 09:36:14 PM »
BFH :wave:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014 - 08:23:28 AM »
I had this exact same dilemma once. What I did was knock out the small dowel pin in the coupling body then unbolted the steering column and pulled it out inside the car. That small dowel pin was easier to punch out than the big roll pin. Once the box was out I was able to work the roll pin out safer on the work bench. If you go this route be very careful not to loose any of the coupler parts, dowel pin included.

John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline FCC

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014 - 12:18:54 PM »
Thanks all for the response.  It's definitely been a biyatch.  I'll try removing the little dowel pin from the coupler as JayBee recommended.  Hopefully that will be easier.  I'm wondering if the main pin goes in or out one way?  Though I've tried punching out both directions and it just doesn't move either way.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014 - 06:06:44 PM »
I'm wondering if the main pin goes in or out one way? 
The main pin can go in or out either way, it's not tapered if that's what you were thinking.
I forgot to mention that you're going to have to bend back the tabs on the part labelled "cover" to pull the shaft out.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline FCC

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014 - 07:47:46 PM »
I was able to punch in the dowel pin and pull the shaft up (after bending out tabs on cover).  I'll drive out the roll pin on the bench.  Thanks all for your help.

Offline FCC

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014 - 04:25:42 PM »
FYI, I used a 1/4" punch and had no problems hammering out the roll pin.  Thanks all for the input.  I wouldn't be able to build my Rallye without the info and help from people on this forum.  Thanks.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014 - 06:18:10 PM »
   :2thumbs: 
John

2014 Toyota Avalon