Author Topic: K-member skid plate  (Read 943 times)

Offline kirks 71

K-member skid plate
« on: June 13, 2014 - 01:39:36 PM »
Hello,   I am currently working on a 1972 Dodge charger.  I have been adding options through the restoration of the car.  I currently have the front end off of the car and decided to add a reproduction 440-6/ hemi skid plate to the K-member.  The problem is the sway bar can not be installed or removed with the skid plate.  I have tried moving it around,  up and down but it still doesn't have the clearance to be installed with the skid plate in place.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Kirk

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: K-member skid plate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014 - 01:43:51 PM »
Is it a factory sway bar ? Is it a factory style skid plate ?

If so, it should go no problem ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Surfmichaels

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014 - 05:34:22 PM »
Is the bottom of the K Frame caved in? I just installed the skid plate and a 1 1/8 sway bar no problem at all....

Offline kirks 71

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014 - 07:03:09 AM »
its a reproduction B body skid plate and an aftermarket sway bar,  looks identical to the factory sway bar, but evidently its not, im guessing this must be the problem.  Thanks for your help.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014 - 08:21:04 AM »
I'm guessing it's the K Frame causing the problem , not the skid plate :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014 - 09:22:43 AM »
Got a pic, doesn't the sway bar go through the k-member and the skid plate go on the outside?

Offline kirks 71

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014 - 04:27:54 PM »
Yes,  that's correct,  the skid plate welds to the bottom of the K-member.  The K-member is 5" wide at the smallest point on the bottom,  I can just thread the sway bar through area without the skid plate on.  The skid plate is roughly 12" wide,  Its the repro that everyone is selling, this makes it impossible to thread the sway bar through with that kind of width.  The K-member appears to be in good shape other than the horrible factory welds on it.  The bottom doesn't appear to be damaged,  I might be able to put a porta-power in it and try opening it up a bit.  Thanks,  kirk