Author Topic: Two year hiatus officially ended  (Read 2296 times)

Offline rhamson

Two year hiatus officially ended
« on: June 15, 2014 - 03:31:55 PM »
After two years of inactivity I have pulled her back in the shop to work on. Work slowed to a crawl and working on my girlfriends house seemed to take every spare moment I had. The good news is after three tarps this one held and all there is to show for it is some surface rust. I am going to make a list and just systematically get them done. I have also decided to build what I have with basic structure upgrades to hold up any improvement upgrades. I have a 440 and I am committed to the manual at this point with maybe a Dana 60 if I can swing it.

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
Re: Two year hiatus officially ended
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014 - 03:35:34 PM »
Let's see it without the tarp  :useless:

Offline -009-

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014 - 04:13:45 PM »
I thought my wife was a tease. Lets see the ol girl tarp less!

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014 - 05:39:58 PM »
Show us what she's got.  We can take it.   :smilielol:

Offline cudamadd

• cudamad157071@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014 - 08:56:59 PM »
How bad is she ? It's great now you have some time to work on her cheers
Go 4 a spin Ya Why Not.

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014 - 09:03:11 PM »
A picture like that could be deemed cruel and unusual punishment!!!
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline rhamson

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014 - 08:29:28 AM »
I had posted pictures of her before she was mothballed but here are a few more. My avatar is how I received the car. She is a '72 Chally that was thrown together for sale at Carlisle about three years ago. The car was a roller only with most parts missing including most of the interior and the drivetrain was a 340 missing intake, exhaust and electrical. The rear is a open truck rear with humongous brakes. I have put in the US Tool frame strengthening kit and repair a few rust patches. It was an Arizona car that came to me by way of Minnesota. I bought a parts rust bucket out of Michigan for all the little parts. I have a 440 and will try to get a Passon 5 speed as I have welded in the transmission hump for it. Thanks for all the interest. It will inspire me to continue on despite all the little things (life) that get in the way.

Offline rhamson

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014 - 08:40:54 AM »
Here is a more up to date picture with the frame connectors and the torque boxes installed.

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014 - 08:44:26 AM »
Nice! I was gonna guess pinto. I wish I had the patience for a rotisserie restoration. All I could think of was banging the gears and smoking the tires so I rushed in the 440 and 4 speed conversion. My buddy needed money so I let him paint it in his garage. I ended up with a nice 50 footer. Good luck with passion 5 speed. Sounds like an awesome buy but it looks like the waiting list is years (yes years).
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014 - 12:26:08 PM »
Torque boxes look great.   :thumbsup:

Offline rhamson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014 - 01:26:58 PM »
The torque boxes went in pretty easy. The front core support tube came without extensions so I had to fabricate my own. Without extensions I would be limited to a modine style radiator. I told US Cartool and they promised to send me a set but they never got here. I am working on a plan for the Engine/running gear. I have a 440 two bolt main out of a New Yorker. My engine builder said the two bolt main is hearty enough up to 800 HP but I am trying to allow for a lot of contingencies so I don't know if I will get the four bolt kit or not at this time. Here is the core support mounts I fabricated.

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014 - 03:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We just decided to add torque boxes to my 70 Challenger this morning.  Looks like it will be fun.   :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014 - 03:18:02 PM »
ALl 400 are 2 bolt , only the Hemi was cross bolted , they will withstand a lot of punishment as & you can add a girdle , easier than 4 bolting it .  the other option is a World block capable of taking 2000 hp

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline rhamson

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014 - 06:39:56 PM »
I was talking with somebody else about this and they mentioned a main stud girdle as well. I liked the idea more as it gives support for the end caps as well. I will check into it. I know 440Source has a kit for it with optional replacement main caps.

Offline rhamson

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014 - 05:03:44 PM »
Nice! I was gonna guess pinto. I wish I had the patience for a rotisserie restoration. All I could think of was banging the gears and smoking the tires so I rushed in the 440 and 4 speed conversion. My buddy needed money so I let him paint it in his garage. I ended up with a nice 50 footer. Good luck with passion 5 speed. Sounds like an awesome buy but it looks like the waiting list is years (yes years).
It's okay as I will probably be a couple of years getting ready for the transmission. Was working on it today welding and my auto dark stopped working. I hate when that happens. It zapped me a couple times before I realized it was happening. Now I will walk around with that stuffy feeling. It sucks too because the welding supply is not open till Monday. I will lose Sunday.